Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Blogworthy Day in the Kitchen

I just joined a produce co-op recently so my kitchen overfloweth with veggies and fruits. What's a girl to do? Cook healthier I guess.

Produce co-ops are AWESOME!  If you can get in on one I highly suggest it.  Of course you have to have open-minded taste buds.  This is difficult for my family.  Angry Beaver ran for the hills last night when he found out we were having stuffed green peppers for dinner and O-lamita gagged on said peppers like she had reverted to a 4 year old version of her 16 year old self.  At least Brick enjoyed them though he complained about the side of fried cabbage. After Food Stylist asked if I had stocked up on Rolaids he inhaled the peppers quickly and quietly without even tasting them.   I'm "training" my family to eat more veggies and fruits.  We've always had them around but unfortunately most of my family is of the meat and potatoes kind.  I, personally, could be a vegetarian though I do enjoy a good steak every now and then slathered in A1 sauce. 

So this brings me to yesterday's kitchen catastrophe.  The stuffed peppers called for 1/3 cup of rice.  Evidently I should have used a shorter cooking time in my Pampered Chef micro rice cooker that usually churns out rice perfectly every time.  I had a burnt rice pancake when I opened it up as well as a melted rice cooker!  boo hoo!!  But what the worst thing is is that I tried cooking it again  on the stove and almost burnt it again. 

2 comments:

knitwit said...

If only you could have me over for dinner. I'd eat all those veggies and ask for seconds!
And a day hardly goes by when I don't have some sort of kitchen disaster!

Karen said...

I've been thinking about joining the produce co-op but didn't know if I'd be able to keep up with just the two of us eating. I love the idea though...making/eating things a bit out of your comfort zone is a good thing.
Stuffed peppers sound great! I always have trouble with rice, no matter what!

Related Posts with Thumbnails